8:30 AM Coffee Fellowship
9:00 AM Sunday School
10:00 AM Worship Service
& Kids Ministry
10:00 AM Adult Bible Study
6:30 PM Real Life Student Ministries
6:30 PM AWANA Kids
2202 State Hwy 13 S
Adams, WI 53910
The Assembly of God began as the Adams Gospel Tabernacle in 1933 when Matt Leuth, Steven Feith and others from Wisconsin Rapids, rented the Sullivan building in Friendship and started Gospel services. Only two or three persons attended the first services. Meetings continued for two weeks until the building was no longer available.
In November of that year, Brother N.L. Shotwell came and held an Evangelistic Campaign for a few weeks in the Charleston building in Adams. The following February (in 1934) he returned to serve as pastor. In March, Inga and Mathilda Olson came and held Evangelistic services. After this Mrs. Schidler held a six week campaign. The attendance gradually increased until as many as 90 persons were present.
In the summer of 1934 the meetings were held in a tent. Among the Evangelists and Christian workers who took part in the services were Marshall Schroeder, William Williams, Julius Olson, Lawrence and Alice Olson and others. In the fall of that year the B.L.F.E. Hall was rented and services were continued.
The construction of a new church began in March of 1935 on two well located lots which had been secured very reasonably. Lumber was sawed from timber cut within the city limits. Most of the labor in preparing the lumber and the building of the church was donated. Services were held in the new building almost as soon as the roof was on. The work on siding, flooring and plastering was done afterward. A dedication service for the new building was held on June 10th,1935. The building was packed for the services. Speakers were Brother Lawrence Olson and Brother R.L. Scharnick, the District Superintendent.
The congregation affiliated with the Wisconsin and Northern Michigan District Council of the Assemblies of God on June 2, 1938. The mortgage against the building was burned in a special service in 1940.Various pastors include: N.L. Shotwell, February 1934-1936; J. Milton Tucker, 1936-1938; Lyle Curtis, 1938-1940; Julius Olson, 1940-1943; George Southwick, 1943-1944.
Because of the increasing crowding conditions of the growing Sunday school a special business meeting was called on May 15, 1945, to consider putting a basement under the church. $740 in pledges was raised. In May 1946, plans were approved and in July cement blocks were purchased and laid on the lot.
In July 1946, the rented parsonage was sold and as the pastor was unable to find a suitable house to rent. The congregation purchased the Jack Johnson house for $4,500.
In 1947, construction work was begun on the basement project. It was completed in about a year and a half, had automatic furnace and facilities, and a rededication service was held in the remodeled church on January 17, 1949.
In a Sunday service on November 12, 1950, $1,000 was raised (to be paid by Thanksgiving Day) to take care of the balance of the debt on the basement. The next day, November 13th at a special business meeting the name of the church was changed from Adams Gospel Tabernacle to Assembly of God Tabernacle. On February 11, 1951, the notes against the basement were burned, making the congregation again free of building debts.
J. Peter Hamelink pastored until September 28, 1952.
Evangelists who have pastored include: Roy Johnson, Carl Cline, Peter Garcia, H.I. Ryan, Theodore Murphy, Robert Spencer, C.C. Wilova, Kingsriley, I.E. Ade, A.H.Gilbert; Reverend Alfred Portinga, 1952-1957; Reverend John V. Ohlin, 1957-1963; Reverend Louis Boucher, 1963-1969; Reverend Peter Hamelink, 1969-1973.
On August 2, 1972 under Reverend Hamelink, we revised the Constitutional By-Laws of the Church; Reverend Humberson, 1973-1974; Reverend Bush, 1974-1982.
On September 9, 1975, we obtained our first two buses for transporting children and the old sagging roof was replaced by a new one on the church.
August 7, 1978, a building permit was obtained for the present annex building. Russ Bradbury was the contractor and it was dedicated May 13, 1979. Much of the labor was donated by the congregation.
Reverend Dal Taeger, associate pastor, 1980; Reverend Darrel Coburn, intern pastor, 1982-1984; Reverend James Van Huss, senior pastor, 1982-1984; Reverend Jere Sherman, 1985-1988.
The congregation decided to purchase a new parsonage May 26, 1982 and bought the present parsonage for $45,000 with $23,000 in trade in for the old parsonage.
At the annual business meeting on July 14, 1986, under Reverend Jere Sherman, the congregation voted to explore the possibility of building a new church. The board was authorized to find a buyer for the existing church and find a suitable building location. The board found ten acres of land on Highway 13 one-half mile south of Adams and purchased it for $10,000. The old church on Willow and Oak Streets was sold to the Seventh Day Adventist Church for $45,000. The board hired Don Freeberg as the general contractor to build the new 325-seat building. The dedication was September 1, 1988 conducted by Reverend Jere Sherman and A/G Wisconsin Northern Michigan officials.
Reverend Larry Bong served 1988-1994; John Zacarias, youth pastor;
Reverend Gary Olson served 1994-2005; youth pastor Reverend Troy Hart;
Reverend Todd Leininger served 2006-2008;
Under Reverend Olson, the parking lot was blacktopped, a two-stall garage was built and the existing facilities updated. On February 1, 1999, the final payment on the church mortgage was made, leaving the congregation debt-free for the new millennium. Under Reverend Todd Leininger the roof was replaced on the building.
Reverend Mark Stevens 2009-Present: youth pastor Reverend Erika Goffin